Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Al-Bashir to the ICC!



It's been nine days since my last entry. What a shame, shame, shame.

So my time at Africa Action is slowly and sadly coming to an end. I have three days left, which means I have to do 8,890 things in three days. A lot of great things have happened at work, and there really hasn't been much downtime at the office.

Last week four other staffers and I went out to the Sudanese Embassy on Embassy Row to "celebrate" the International Criminal Court issuing an arrest warrant for Present Al-Bashir. (See photo above) The President of Sudan has been standing by, and backing, the genocide in Darfur. The arrest warrant was a major step into getting this conflict resolved.

Us (Uduak, Millicent, Atlang, and me) sitting and waiting for the protest to start:


We had fun making our own protests signs. Mine said BASHIR BELONGS BEHIND BARS. Get the alliteration? You like that? Yeah? I know.



I then made a sign that said HONK FOR JUSTICE IN SUDAN! It definitely worked and everyone driving by got really fired up and started honking and there was lots of noise on the street. When the cars stopped at the light the other girls would run up to the window and give them stickers and an invitation to our event, which I'll tell you about later.


There was one incident that involved a protester spitting in a car and the car speeding away... but we won't talk about that. It was mainly a lot of supportive people driving by, understanding that Sudan's president should be sent to the ICC. We stayed out there four about FIVE HOURS, and I sweat all the water in my entire body out of myself so we needed to go back to the office.

2 comments:

Molly said...

I love your co-interns, they just look so warm and friendly. I love protesting and I love seeing my sister doing good things! Yay for Al-Bashir to the ICC! He's a poo-poo head like sam would say.

Jan said...

How quickly time goes....only 3 more days....unbelievable. Although the time you are physically there is coming to an end, it is obvious to me that your influence and hard work will carry on! What a terrific experience!