Us getting ready to go in the morning. I am so excited to be NYC that I'm scared!:
On Saturday we attempted to find our way to Soho for a long time and we finally made it somehow. It was ridiculously hot outside, which kind of sucked but it was OK because it was New York City. We walked around and looked at shops. There was a street fair going on so we walked through that. A bunch of people that my roommates know from high school/college met up with us. There were lots of nice stores, including one called Hogan (which is my first name to people here).
Becca's friend Olivia is really nice and we hung out with her the rest of the day. We went back to her apartment to go swimming on her roof (I know). We got up to her roof and it was literally breathtaking. You could see all of New York - downtown, the empire state building, the Brooklyn Bridge. I thought to myself, "If I ever 'MAKE IT' I will live some place like this... and this girl is 21!" Olivia knew she was lucky, though. We never got into the pool because it started to rain. We went back down to her apartment and it is really nice, as you can imagine. Olivia calls it a spaceship because it's so modern looking because a designer did it and not her. Oh the agony! Olivia works at a big designer company (I forget the name because it's foreign and hard to say) and she showed us all of the free clothes she has gotten since she's started last month. She estimated she has been given $10,000 worth of new clothes for free. She had so many dresses and they were all gorgeous. I wore her clothes later that night.
It started to rain even harder so Becca and I decided it would be a fabulous idea to go run around in the TORRENTIAL rain. I mean, we still had our swim suits on, it only made sense. It was down pouring! We ran around a few blocks and people looked at us like we were on drugs.
After a nice shower, we went to a restaurant called Life Cafe. The restaurant in the RENT broadway show/movie when they dance on the tables and sing La Vie Boheme was inspired after Life Cafe. It looked so much like it! It was also the place that Jonathan Larson wrote Rent! Life Cafe's website says:
"Jonathan Larson frequented the East Village and he liked hanging out at Life Cafe, sipping coffee while watching, interviewing and writing. He observed the various groups of neighborhood people who regularly met at Life Cafe. Because, after all, there was never enough room in Lower East Side apartments or enough heat, or hot water. And sometimes there was no water at all."
From Rent:
Actual:

1 comment:
I love hearing the story unfold!! and no it doesnt surprise me that you ran down blocks in NYC in your swimsuit in the rain! It sounds just like you!! Mom
Post a Comment