It seems very strange to say I had my last day at Africa Action. I feel like it was just the other day when I timidly took the elevator to the 8th floor to meet Ellie and Uduak and then all of the other interns/staff who work in the office.
Everything was scary then, but it was equally exciting. I knew going into the internship that they took a chance on me. I was an 18 year old Iowa girl who obviously didn't have the kind of experience the others did. But they saw that I wanted to learn - and I did. I knew I would learn a lot and have great experiences, but my time at Africa Action was more rewarding than I could have imagined.
I come away from the internship knowing much more about the world, not just because I spent hours reading about and researching topics, but from meeting some of the most amazing and interesting people I've ever met. A lot of information came from events, on the hill, and other non-profits, etc., but most of it came from the 9 people I worked with in the office.
Just 10 years ago, Briggs led his university in Zimbabwe to fight back again a repressive government. Today he is still invested in guaranteeing Mugabe's removal. And despite the fact they haven't been home or seen their family in years, I could always count on Uduak and Atlang to be having a great time, no matter what they were doing. Their laughs were contagious and loud and they weren't ashamed to let it out. Michael, just 22, seems to have the knowledge of a 50 year old stuffed inside his head, and Christine's passion to fight HIV/AIDS is inspiring. Millicent, the only one my age, always amazed me by her curiosity and the way that she always wanted to know people's back stories. Finally, Justine and Ellie, the two other DPACers that I grew closest with, I'll miss eating lunch outside of the White House with them every day, talking about our plans, but mostly making fun of Ellie's British accent (we speak it better, the English don't know how to speak English) After those first orientation days, we all have grown close. What surprises me is how much we connected, yet how different all of us are.
Africa Action always preaches how once you're there, you're always family, and I feel that to be true. All of the staff has taught me so much, and I can't thank them enough.
From the first days of getting used to answering the phone, to protesting to the Senate offices and creating a brand-new Africa Action blog, I have a lot to take away from the internship.
Tuesday when we all sat around a table at Safari Cafe, eating Kenyan food, I realized that I'd always keep in touch.
Here are some pictures from my last day:
Africa and me... and an old wise man
Ellie by our entrance:
Our Executive Director and me
Africa Action's founding fathers: black and white working for the same cause
The DPAC Team
I will miss you!

No comments:
Post a Comment